Paint Box

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Breaking Boundaries July

 Went on an adventure today to try out putting paintings and smaller reproductions different contexts. First stop Epwell Farm, origin of the Corn Babies painting. We carried the canvas into the corn field and experimented with placing it in and in front of the corn. I had imagined the painting tucked in between the maize but these photos seemed to obstruct the surface a little too much. Then tried placing it among wild flowers - more natural theme - and in a cornflower field which had quite a different effect in that the colours of the canvas really stood out against the background. Also rather overcast unfortunately so didn't photograph as well as I would have liked but it was a good start.

We then went to Blenheim Palace to place reproductions temporarily into the maze and pleasure gardens as I wanted to before. It was much easier placing smaller images, however I am not happy with the resulting photos - the image reproduction is quite poor and they are flimsy in comparison to the canvases. Being quite claustrophobic, it was a bit scary entering the maze but it was relatively easy to solve. I could have done with having the wide angle lens to include the multiple pathways and work but this visit has now allowed me to establish that the maze doesn't work as well without the original pieces. I imagined them as quite impacting as you turned the corner but they came across more as clues in a puzzle, which is interesting in itself. Emerging from the maze I came across more puzzles and giant chess pieces so placed some images on the chess board. It was interesting to note how little notice people took when I was setting up and taking these photos - particularly the children who were absorbed in their own games. People in the maze looked more at the work - I suspect this was because they didn't know it was there until they rounded the corner and stumbled across it. Finally went to the butterfly house which was a complete sweat box - when I originally approached Blenheim I had imagined 3D pieces placed in here which having now visited I believe would work much better. As a technical thing, I'm not sure my flowl would have survived in the heat so it's probably best that they rejected the idea.




Reflection

The image reproductions on photographic paper are not ideal for rephotographing due to the shiny surface. Ideally genuine paintings need to be used so I will try to do this as far at possible. Works on paper and canvas off the stretcher are also options I intend to explore as these should be more flexible in where they can be positioned and 'smuggled' into. My strategy is now going to be to take as many photos in different locations as possible to give myself a broad range to select from. Some may need editing to adjust the light and contrast. I now plan to use some of my maze photos to create a superimposed maze exhibition, adding imagery with photoshop to achieve the desired scale of work on the hedges. I will try and talk to people about the work as I'm setting it up if I have the opportunity, and record their response. It surprised me how little questioning I received in relation to what I was doing in the maze - visitors did look at the work but passed by without any interaction with me despite the enclosed space. In fact I had more response from the woman at asda who developed my photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment